How to complain about a pension

Contact your pension provider first if you need to complain. Most people get things resolved this way. As every person’s pension is different, your pension provider will usually be best placed to give you the right answer as quickly as possible.

Making a complaint

You should first ask your pension provider for details of their complaints process. This will be different depending on your provider and pension type. Follow your provider’s process before taking further action.

It’s best to make your complaint in writing and to get a written response. This helps if you need to take your complaint further.

If you need to take things further

If you’ve already followed your pension provider’s complaints process, there are different ways to take things further.

Complaining about how your pension has been run

You can contact The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) on 0800 011 3797 or by using their online enquiry form.

TPAS can give you free and independent advice if your complaint is about how your pension has been run, eg if your provider:

  • has given you the wrong information
  • has taken too long to do something

TPAS can work with you and your pension provider to find a solution. However:

  • it can’t make any legal decisions about whether your complaint is justified
  • it can’t help you if you’ve already started legal action about your complaint

If TPAS can’t resolve your complaint about how your pension’s been run, you can contact the Pensions Ombudsman Service on 020 7630 2200 or at

The Pensions Ombudsman Service can help if your complaint is about how your pension has been run. It’s a free and impartial organisation and has legal powers to uphold or reject complaints.

Complaints about financial advice

You can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service on 0800 023 4567 or at The service is free and impartial. It has legal powers to uphold or reject complaints.

This service can help if you think you got the wrong financial advice which led you to take out a pension that wasn’t right for you. It can also help with some types of complaint about how a pension is sold or marketed.

Usually, the Financial Ombudsman Service doesn’t provide help with complaints about workplace pensions - a type of pension arranged by your employer. Check with your provider if you’re not sure about your pension type.

Once an Ombudsman is dealing with your complaint, you won’t usually get more help with your complaint from another Ombudsman or organisation.

The State Pension

Contact the Pension Service if you have a complaint about the State Pension.